, Japan
Stock photo. Credits to Unsplash.

Japan raises health insurance premiums for high-income elderly

The aim is to ease the burden on the working generation.

Japan’s health ministry proposed to raise the upper limit on health insurance premiums paid by high-income earning people aged 75 years or older from 660,000 yen ($4.73k) per year at present, Jiji Press reports.

The ministry is also proposing to raise the share of health insurance premiums paid by all people aged 75 years or older from 10%t at present. The remaining 90% is currently covered by payments from working generations and taxpayer money.

ALSO READ: IRDAI to push government to allow insurers to invest in unlisted companies

According to the health ministry,  the proposed reform is designed to ease the burden on working generations whilst making the country's health care system sustainable as medical expenses are expected to grow further due to an ageing and declining population.

Under the reform, the amount of contributions paid by major companies' health insurance societies to medical expenses of people aged between 65 and 74 years will be raised.

Follow the link for more news on

Join Insurance Asia community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!